The Dental Hygienist provides patients with preventive, educational, and therapeutic services supporting total health for the control of oral diseases and promotion of oral health. Duties include but are not limited to: assisting dentist; review of medical history and medications; aiding in the detection of oral diseases or conditions; performing certain clinical procedures; providing patient education; reviewing treatment plans; and aiding in clinical research.
Position is 16 hours weekly, hours are Monday and Tuesday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM at the Harbor Community Health Center-Hyannis.
· Takes and records vital signs and reviews medical chart for medications, medical history and allergies for procedures.
· Performs and properly documents oral exams such as oral cancer screening, preliminary examinations, periodontal charting, evaluates occlusion and parafunctional habits, screens for orthodontic, periodontal, etc., and charts dental restorations, etc.
· Instructs patient on proper dental care including, proper diet, brushing, flossing, adjunct tools, fluoride rinses and makes recommendations for fluoride prescriptions and antibacterial agents; records instructions given in the medical record.
· Performs authorized procedures such as but not limited to sub-gingival and supra-gingival scaling, root planning and curettage, application of fluoride varnish and topical anesthetics while accurately recording treatments in the medical record.
· May perform dental assisting duties as needed such as infection control, triage of emergency patients, and set up and breakdown of operations before and after patients.
· As required or needed, calls patients regarding upcoming appointments and/or assists in rescheduling.
Required/Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
· Graduation from an accredited Dental Hygiene school, BA preferred.
· Current MA Dental Hygiene license and current BLS.
· 1 year of experience in a professional clinical setting, 3 years preferred.
· Two years of Dental Assistant experience in a professional clinical setting can substitute for one year of experience as a Dental Hygienist.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.