The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for helping patients and their families navigate and access community services, other resources, and adopt healthy behaviors. The CHW supports providers and the Care Team at the Harbor Community Health Center-Hyannis through an integrated approach to care management and community outreach. As a priority, activities will promote, maintain, and improve the health of patients and their families by providing social support and informal counseling, advocating for individuals and community health needs and conducting community outreach.
• Establishes trusting relationships with patients and their families while providing general support and encouragement and managing assigned caseload of patients.
• Provides ongoing follow-up, basic motivational interviewing and goal setting with patients/families.
• Conducts intake interviews with patients, including enrolling and/or referring patients into community partner programs such as housing, food and other social determinants of health needs. Community outreach, such as home visits and health screenings, are required.
• Assists patients with completing applications and registration forms.
• Assists patients setting personal goals and attending appointments and connects with transportation resources and gives appointment reminders in special circumstances.
• Provides referrals for services to community agencies as appropriate.
• Exhibits excellent working relationships with patients, visitors and staff, effectively communicating HHSI’s mission.
• Works closely with medical provider and other clinical staff to help ensure that patients have comprehensive and coordinated care.
• Continually acquires knowledge about community resources appropriate to needs of patients/families.
• Provides consistent communication to the Care Team to evaluate patient/family status, ensuring that the provided information and reports clearly describe progress.
• Acts as a patient advocate and liaison between the patient/family and community service agencies (i.e. schools, Department Human Services, Heath Care for Homeless, hospitals, support groups, etc.).
• Records patient care management information in the EMR and other software in a timely manner.
• Attends regular staff meetings, trainings and other meetings as requested.
• Reviews care plans to prepare for and participate in case discussion at Care Team meeting.
Required/Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Bilingual/Bicultural Portuguese/English highly desired, written and oral fluency in English required.
• Experience working in a multi-cultural setting; experience working in a community-based setting for at least 1 to 2 years preferred.
• Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
• Basic computer skills: knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
• Ability to initiate and maintain positive working relationships with HHSI staff and other organizations.
• Understanding of the community served – community connectedness based on health center location.
• Excellent communication skills, excellent listening skills and using language appropriately.
• Ability and willingness to provide emotional support, encouragement and motivation to patients.
Please Apply online at:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
About Harbor Health Services, Inc.
Harbor Health Services, Inc. (HHSI) is a nonprofit, public health agency committed to providing quality, comprehensive health care to all those in our community regardless of ability to pay.
Harbor Health Services includes the Daniel Driscoll-Neponset Health Center, Geiger Gibson Community Health Center, The Elder Service Plan, (located in Boston and Brockton, MA), Harbor Community Health Center-Plymouth, Harbor Community Health Center -Hyannis, Ellen Jones Community Dental Center (located in Dennis, MA.)
We offer an excellent, comprehensive benefits package including Health, Dental, Life, & Disability insurance, 403b Savings Plan, Generous Paid Time Off plus 11 additional Holidays. Position is located at the Harbor Community Health Center, Hyannis, MA