Circulation and Library Assistant
Reports to: Circulation Supervisor, Executive Director
Position: Part Time
Remote Work: None
Cotuit Library is looking for an energetic part-time Circulation and Library Assistant (CLA) with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to join our small but mighty staff. You are a good fit for this position if you are enthusiastic and friendly, have a passion for connecting with people of all ages, proactively seek to help others, and strive to create a positive atmosphere wherever you go!
The CLA is responsible for welcoming patrons and ensuring that the main circulation desk is professionally staffed and active at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assisting with opening and closing procedures
· Checking library materials in and out, processing renewals
· Processing book deliveries, holds, and fulfilling paging list requests
· Creating and maintaining patron records
· Answering general reference questions and patron inquiries
· Assisting with readers’ advisory
· Retrieving and shelving library materials
· Assisting with library programs and displays
· Professionally answering the telephone
· Helping patrons locate materials, use the printer, fax and photocopier
· Provide tech help and assist with collection maintenance, such as weeding and processing as requested by the Circulation Supervisor
· Data entry, assistance with correspondence, and miscellaneous library work will also be required as requested by the Executive Director.
The essential functions or duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. It is not designed nor intended to include all duties and responsibilities inherent in satisfactory performance of the position.
· A consistently energetic, positive attitude
· Must enjoy working with the public and thrive on creating healthy interpersonal connections.
· The willingness and ability to meet and greet patrons of all ages, backgrounds and abilities daily.
· Outstanding customer service and communication skills
· A respectful demeanor and the ability to operate with poise, professionalism, and a high-level of confidentiality.
· The ability to be independently productive
· Attention to detail
· Organizational skills
· An excellent but kind sense of humor.
· Kind, compassionate, and patient.
· Familiarity with library systems is preferred
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· High School Diploma or GED
· Proficient and comfortable using a computer and peripheral equipment (scanners, printers, etc.)
· Previous library experience a plus
· A clean CORI/SORI background check is required
This position will require lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs., as well as reaching and climbing to retrieve and shelve books.
Work is performed collaboratively with a highly energetic and intergenerational creative team.
Work is performed under a combination of typical office and library conditions and off-site conditions encountered when undertaking outreach activities.
Daily work is performed with computers, printers, facsimile machine, copier, calculator, telephone, and other standard digital equipment
This is a public-facing position and requires appropriate business-casual attire and proper hygiene.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position.
The CLA will be regularly scheduled for evening and weekend work. Some community engagement/programs work may be required outside the Library’s normal business hours.
The CLA is expected to attend staff meetings, training sessions, programs, and events at the request of the Circulation Supervisor or Executive Director.
About Cotuit Library
The Cotuit Library Association's mission is to enhance village life by providing a place where community gathers and all individuals achieve personal growth.
The Library is owned and managed by the Cotuit Library Association with contributions from the community, special fundraising and the Town of Barnstable. We are a member of the Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing (CLAMS) network and the Cape and Islands Inter-Library Association.